Teriyaki is actually a combination of 2 words, “Tari” for the shine that is left from the sugar content of the sauce and “Yaki” for cooking by grilling or broiling. You can find any number of teriyaki sauces at the grocery store or market, but it basically all breaks down to Soy Sauce, Sugar , Garlic and Ginger. It gives a sweet, salty, spicy and savory edge to any type of protein whether it’s Red Meat, Poultry or Fish.
- 4-5 lbs Beef or Chicken
- Sea Salt and Fresh Ground Black Pepper to taste
- 1 cup Soy Sauce
- 2/3 cup Brown Sugar (regular will also work)
- 1 tsp Wasabi or Ghost Chili Powder
- 4 Tbsp Sherry or White Wine
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 medium piece Ginger, crushed
- 5 stalks Green Onion, finely chopped
- Whisk Salt, Pepper, Soy Sauce, Sugar, Wine, Chili Powder/Wasabi, Garlic and Ginger together thoroughly. Save about 1/2 cup of sauce for later.
- Marinate Beef or Chicken for a minimum of 6 hours, preferably overnight.
- Place Beef or Chicken on hot, pre-oiled grill or bake in shallow baking pan at 350 degrees for 15 minutes then 5-10 on Broil, until Chicken is thoroughly cooked or Beef is medium.
- After meat is cooked add to serving dish and pour on the rest of the Teriyaki Sauce along with the Green Onions and Cilantro.
- Serve with Noodles or Rice or just by itself.