So since today, Paula Deen came out about having diabetes, whodda thunk, I figured I’d highlight 2 recipes of hers that I’m a big fan of. Neither of these require a ton of butter or butter cream, and are actually somewhat healthy and really tasty.
- 4 center-cut pork chops, 1-inch thick
- Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper
- Ground Cayenne Pepper
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose Flour, spread on a plate
- 2 medium Green Bell Peppers, cut into strips
- 2 Yellow Onions, trimmed, cut lengthwise
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped Mushrooms
- 2 cups Chicken Broth
- 2 to 3 dashes Worcestershire Sauce
- Trim the excess fat from the Pork Chops and season well with Salt, Pepper, and Cayenne. Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Lightly roll the chops in flour, shake off the excess, and slip them into the pan. Brown well, about 3 minutes per side, and remove them to a plate.
- Add the Bell Peppers, Mushrooms and Onions, to the skillet, and saute until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the Garlic and cook until fragrant, about half a minute longer. Push the vegetables to the side of the skillet.
- Add chops to pan and place vegetables on top of pork chops. Pour in the Broth and sprinkle with Worcestershire sauce.
- Cover pan with foil and allow to simmer for 45 minutes or until chops are tender.