These are some sweet marinated pears that make an excellent side to some baked ham or grilled chicken and veggies. The flavors make a perfect sweet tarty kick that doesn’t over power the main dish but still add a different touch, almost like a dessert. It takes a little bit of time to make them but they store pretty well.
- 8-10 Bartlett Pears (peeled & quartered)
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 1/4 Cups Water
- 1 Cup Honey
- 3/4 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 2 Cinnamon Sticks
- 3 Cloves
- In a large nonreactive saucepan, combine the honey and water and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring until the honey is completely dissolved. Add the pear quarters to the pan in 1 layer and cook at a medium boil until the pears are just tender, about 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer the pears to a bowl and reserve.
- Add the vinegar and spices to the syrup and bring to a boil, stirring. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow the marinade to cool to room temperature, then strain it.
- Pour the pears into a sterilized 1-quart jar and pour the marinade into the jar to submerge pears. Seal the jar and refrigerate for 3 to 4 days, by that time the pears should be ready to eat. The pears will keep for up to 3 weeks in the refrigerator.