A State Fair favorite is Corndogs. You just can’t go wrong with any kind of meat on a stick. These little puppies are great for any party that you’re throwing as they are so easy to make and you can fry them up continuously so that you don’t run out.
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1/4 cup Cornstarch
- 2 packs of Lil Smokey Hot Dogs
- 1 1/2 cups Self-Rising Cornmeal mix
- 1/2 cup all-purpose Flour
- 3 tablespoons Sugar
- 1 1/4 cups Buttermilk ( or 1 cup Milk + 2 Tbsp Butter)
- Wood Skewers, Soaked in water for 30 minutes
- Using skillet or deep fryer, heat the oil to 350 degrees F.
- Place the cornstarch in a small bowl. Place 1 hot dog piece on the end of each skewer. Dredge the hot dogs in cornstarch, gently tapping off the excess.
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal mix, flour, and sugar. Add the buttermilk, whisking until smooth.
- Holding the ends of the skewers, dip the hot dogs into the cornmeal batter to completely cover the hot dog. Holding the ends of the skewers, carefully place the battered hot dogs into the hot oil.
- Fry until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Repeat procedure with remaining skewered hotdogs and cornmeal batter.