This is the go to recipe for cooking BeerBrats. Make up a large batch of these before going to a game and you can save yourself money on food and help sober you up. Cooking these will make your house smell amazing for hours after you’re done eating the fruits of your labor.
- Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper
- 2 Red or Green Bell Peppers, cored and sliced
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 large Onions, sliced, divided
- 2 cups Sauerkraut , drained
- 3-4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 6 cup Dark or Lager Beer( i.e. Yuengling)
- 6 Bratwurst Sausages
- 6 Hoagie Rolls, split lengthwise
- Spicy Brown Mustard
- Prick the Bratwurst all over with a fork. In a medium pot, combine the Bratwurst, Beer, and half the Onions.
- Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Simmer for about 15 minutes or until Bratwurst are firm and cooked through.
- Transfer the Bratwurst to a plate. Reserve some of the cooking liquid.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the remaining Onions, the Garlic, Sauerkraut and Bell Peppers.
- Cook about 15 minutes or until Peppers and Onions are very soft, tossing occasionally.
- Add the Bratwurst to the skillet in the last 5 minutes of cooking to lightly brown.
- If the vegetables begin to get too dark, add a few tablespoons of the Bratwurst cooking liquid. Season, to taste, with Salt and Black Pepper.
- To serve, spread each bun with Mustard. Fill each bun with a brat. Top with sauteed peppers and onions.