Here’s a great healthy, light snack that goes perfect with everything from vegetables to crackers to breads and even meats. Give it a try and whip up a batch and you’ll be hooked!
Try it out, you know you want to……
- 3 cups dry garbanzo beans, soaked overnight
- 1 pinch baking soda (optional)
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup tahini paste
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, or more to taste
- 1 large clove garlic, minced, or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and pepperto taste
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Rinse the garbanzo beans and and place in a pot. Fill with enough water to cover by at least 1 inch. Add baking soda, if using. Bring to a boil and then simmer over medium heat until the beans are very soft, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Drain the beans, reserving some of the water to use later. Reserve a small handful of the whole beans for a garnish. Transfer the rest to a blender or if you have a hand blender, a large bowl. Blend the beans until smooth, adding 1/2 cup of olive oil gradually. Add some of the reserved water if needed to help it blend. Add the tahini and blend in along with the lemon juice. Blend in the garlic, cumin and salt.
- Spread the hummus into a flat serving dish and garnish with the reserved beans and a drizzle of olive oil.