Hoppin’ John is a southern style jumbalaya. You can add any type of meat and veggies you like, then let it all simmer and cook with some Cajun Rice and you got yourself a stick to your ribs meal that really fills you up and explodes with flavor.
- 1 lb Bacon (diced)
- 2 boxes Uncle Ben’s Original Recipe Long Grain and Wild Rice
- 4-6 Cloves Garlic (diced)
- 1/2 cup Onion (diced)
- 1/2 cup Celery (diced)
- 1/2 cup Green Bell Pepper (diced)
- 4-1/2 cup Water
- 2 cans Black-Eyed Peas
- 4-6 Jalapeños, (diced)
- In Large Skillet, Brown Bacon until crisp, set aside on paper towel lined plate to drip off excess grease, save about 1 Tbsp of Grease in Skillet.
- Add in the Onion, Garlic, Peppers and Celery. Saute for about 5 minutes.
- Add rice and seasoning packet, water, and black-eyed peas; cover and simmer 25 minutes.
- Add bacon and jalapeños, cover and heat 5 to 10 minutes more.