Anyone that’s ever gone to the Island knows that you just can’t find that awesome, chile-like sauce that’s on their hotdogs. This is a pretty good attempt to make it just like all the shops on Coney Island offer. It’s also great on hamburgers and french fries.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup prepared yellow mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon of your favorite Hot Sauce (i.e. Tapatio or Franks Red-Hot)
- Place the ground beef and onion in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring to crumble, until beef is browned. Drain. Transfer the beef and onion to a slow cooker and stir in the ketchup, sugar, vinegar and mustard. Season with celery seed, Worcestershire sauce, Host Sauce, pepper and salt. Cover and simmer on Low setting for a few hours before serving.