It’s been quite some time since I’ve gotten to update my recipe list but here’s a great one that I have been making non-stop the last year. This is the pickled Ginger that you usually get with your sushi. Sometimes it has been dyed pink, other times it is the natural Ginger color. The small jars of this at the store run from 6-10$ for a little 6 oz jar. You can use this recipe to make a lot up when the price of Ginger is low and save in the fridge for months.
- 1lb Ginger Root
- 1 Bottle Rice Wine Vinegar (or Plain White Distilled)
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Salt
- In a saucepan, heat the vinegar and sugar up until it simmers, remove from heat and allow to cool a bit.
- Peel Ginger and then finely shave into thin slices. lay out on plate and sprinkle generously with salt. Roll Ginger slices around to coat all pieces, sprinkle more salt if needed until all pieces are dusted with salt.
- Add Ginger slices into tupperware or jar and pour Vinegar solution in until all pieces are covered.
- Place in the back of the fridge and give it about a week to do it’s magic.